Thursday, September 30, 2010

Apple pie anyone?

Now I 've never been that interested in baking and quite frankly I'm still not. I love to cook and cook my way, I add a bit of this and alot of that if you catch my drift...I do sometimes stick to the recipe, but if I don't have all the ingredients then I typically sub with what I do have.
So while I think  for now I'll  steer clear of wedding cakes, I do think I'll try my hands at an old fashioned apple pie. Who doesn't love apple pie? Gosh I think I'd just bake one  to smell it cooking in my house!
So today my son and I picked pretty much every last apple from one of our 3 apple trees and then a few from another. Actually I picked the apples and Parker ate...he's such a cute little helper.
The recipe I'm using today is from my  sister n law who was on an apple pie misson last year. 
This is the recipe she found and believe me its out of this world! Out of maybe the 3 apple pies I 've baked in my entire life I would say the one I made today was the best...I think alot of it has to do with the apple coming straight from our tree, and the pure satisfaction you get knowing you made this beautiful masterpiece...aah its all about the little things in life.


Grandma Ross's Pie Crust..This was Meghan's recipe too:)
2 cups flour
1 t salt
2/3 cup + 2 heaping T Crisco
Work together to form peas. Add 1/4 cup ice cold water. Work into dough and divide the dough into to separate doughs. One for the bottom and one for the top. Roll out cover and set in fridge.
Caramel Apple Pie
6 cups apples
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1 t vanilla( I use a french vanilla paste you can buy at specialty food stores)
4 t heavy cream
4 t butter
Today I didn't do the Streusel topping but if you want to here ya go!
Streusel Topping
!/2 cup flour
3t sugar
1 t butter
1/2 a bag heath toffee chips

1 beaten egg and sugar for dusting.

Pre heat oven to 425
Make the pie crust divide into 2 flat discs wrap them into plastic wrap and keep in the fridge until filling is done.
Peel and slice apples. Sprinkle them with lemon juice. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix. Add vanilla and cream. Melt butter in a heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook 8 Min's, to soften apples. Roll out 1 pie shell and place into pie plate. Turn apples into pie shell. Make sterusel topping : combine the flour and sugar. Mix in butter with a fork until coarse crumbs. Stir in toffee chips. Sprinkle over pie. Roll out 2nd dough and place over pie. Brush top of pie with beaten egg and dust with sugar. Bake for 15 Min's. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 45 Min's. Be sure to put something underneath the pie, it will most likely leak during baking.
Its rustic!

Thank you feathers.

Mum's

This was a slice of heaven


This is not a turkey, but I still haven't named her.

New deck:)


No comments:

Post a Comment