Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fall Harvest

<><>
<>
<><>
One of my girls
Apple's from my backyard

I know what most of you are thinking, fall? Already? Yes fall....In my opinion the way you know that fall has arrived is when you see the first  apple falling from the tree, the first leafs changing its colors and  when you start noticing acorns on the ground and the squirrels hoping around gathering there food for the winter. That's when you know the chill is coming, the warm cozy fires will be lit and the cider and soups will be made. Fall my absolute favorite time of year. So on my upcoming menu for canning I think it will go like this, First Apple sauce, and most likely apple butter, Pear something to be determined and raw cider, I found a recipe for canning cider how cool will that be! Of course I 'll be posting my fall favorite foods and drinks as well, so thanks for taking the time to share in my joy of learning how to can, cook and much more! Cheers!
Dutch oven pot roast
Dutch Oven Pot Roast
This was something I threw together mid -day because I was craving a warm cozy meal.
One rib roast
1/3 cup olive oil
2 handfuls new potato's
2 handfuls sliced carrot
3 cups organic chicken stock
1 med white onion
1 can Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
handful fresh torn parsley
salt and pepper
handful fresh thyme, stems removed
3 cloves garlic chopped.
Pre heat oven to 3.75
Heat olive oil in  a heavy cast iron pan
or dutch oven, salt and pepper meat generously( I always use kosher salt)
brown meat until nice golden crust forms on all sides
remove meat set aside.
Add to hot pan chopped onion, carrots, and garlic
salt and pepper stir about 2-3 Min's until partially cooked
return meat with drippings back to pan and add potato's, stock and cream soup
Give it a stir until soup  is blended in
Put lid on pan and cook in the oven 2-3 hrs or lower temp to 350 and cook 4 hrs
Enjoy!!


3 comments:

  1. Oh and I love to put a dollop of sour cream on the top with a canned Jalapenos....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try it. I'm gonna thaw a roast tonight.

    ReplyDelete