Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lets break bread together...

For years I grew up watching my mother cook in the kitchen. In fact most  of my memories when I was young are of my mother cooking. Now back in the day, way back, she would cook alot of my father's favorite foods. Roasts, mashys and the famous pork chops with rice. This was all very normal to me then, after all isn't that what most moms did?? All I knew was that dinner was always there at the same time everyday, and it was SO good. I now think back to those days and realise how much more their was to that picture.
Maybe my mom didn't know it then  but what she was doing was creating memories for me. Memories that I would carry on to my son and husband. Memories that I would crave and spend hours trying to make that same meal that only mom can make. Its called COMFORT FOOD... and that's exactly what it is.
Thank you mother for all that you did for us. It means more to me than you will ever know.
So tonight I made one of my favorite comfort foods, a dish my mother made for us years ago. In fact I think I have a church cookbook somewhere from when I was like ten and my mom published it  saying that it was my recipe! What a great mom!!
 I usually cook this when its stormy out and I just need to be warmed up..
Here's my memory of Goulash soup....


  • 1 package of ground pork( I use all natural)
  • 1 package ground beef ( I use all natural)
  • 1 medium white onion chopped
  • 2 gloves garlic chopped
  • 4-5 yellow potato's quartered
  • 1 can homemade stewed tomato's or store bought
  • 1/2 can tomato paste
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • some dried oregano, 3 shakes
  • A few good shakes of paprika
  • garlic salt 2 shakes
  • garlic powder 2 shakes
  • onion powder  2 shakes
  • Cayenne pepper  3- 4 shakes
  • worcesteshire   2  dabbs
  • (remember all seasoning is to taste)
  • Just use commen sense.




In large soup pot on med high heat cook the ground beef and pork until browned  and almost cooked. Add salt and pepper
Add the onion and garlic
Add all your seasonings
then add your stewed tomatoes, potato's
stir then add your beef broth
turn heat down to med low at this point
we want a simmer.
Then add your tomato paste and worcestershire


Let soup simmer for at least an hour
It should be smelling great!!
I love this dish either by itself or with some yummy bread
and a glass of red.




I hope you love this soup as much as my family and I do.








Chop, chop.


Stir
now add your broth..
Simmer..
Its getting there, but not quite yet
When it looks like this, it done.
Time to eat!
Let's break bread...

2 comments:

  1. I love one pot meals especially in the fall/winter. I would love to make this, but since I really don't eat beef or ground pork, what do you think of ground chicken, or turkey?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang, I would say to try it and make sure the meat is very seasoned!! Let me know how it turns out I would be really curious!

    ReplyDelete