Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Pear Story.

I started with 40lbs Comice pears. I was a little worried at first, what in the world was I going to do with that many pears??? I didn't even really like pears that much to begin with. It was my overwhelming addiction to canning that encouraged me to buy them...:) So after canning sliced pears in  a light syrup,( which by the way are amazing! ) making pear candy not on purpose( which is not amazing) And making pear butter yum yum, then today succeeding with pear honey...I of course made some appetizers so what else could I do??? . Well there was just one thing left to do....make a pear pie! I started browsing the Internet for recipes but nothing grabbed me. So I decided to take a chance and just go with what my little heart desired.....

Amy's Pear pie
Make your crusthttp://canningwife.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html check out my apple pie blog for the crust by clicking the link above.

Once you've made your crust your ready for your pie...


Peel core and slice, sprinkle with half cup sugar, half of a lemon  and 3 tablespoons heavy cream and 1/2 cup flour.

Add 1 cup brown sugar, couple dabs of nutmeg and cinnamon
and 1/4 cup slivered almonds.
Take a half stick cold butter cut into cubes, mix all dry ingredients in with the butter like a crumble. Place in top of pie.

Then place your other half of crust on top. Brush on egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
Have oven pre heated to 425, bake for 15 Min's then reduce to 350 for 45 Min's, let cool 1 hr.

Enjoy with someone you love:)  I made whipped cream with cider butter. Next time I will add dried cranberry's and white chocolate chips into the pie....but this was so incredible just as it was.

This was the perfect pie to make on this perfect fall day.
 

Pear Butter

Pear honey

Pears in a light syrup.

That's pear sauce on my right.

I now can say with confidence, I love pears!!


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!!! I will be making the pear pie, and the crust looks amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am posting!! Love the peach honey and the fig jam!! And once again YOU are so inspiring I love the blog and I can wait to live close so maybe I too can help can and maybe you can teach me a thing or two about it:) Love ya sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way the pear butter was sooooooooooooo AMAZING! Better than grandmas! I think its okay if I post that she doesn't get on computers:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh GOOD!!! It was an experiment but it turned out great! I think I like it better than the cider butter:)

    ReplyDelete