Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Canning..

I came across this adorable website http://www.canningwithkids.com/  and decided instead of making cranberry wreaths with fresh berry's, I would can cranberry butter. Any excuse to can:) I followed her recipe, sort of, but I like my butters on  the sweet side.   So I added some of my own little touches...

CRANBERRY BUTTER, GIFT #2


I love cooking with cranberries simply because they are breathtaking.



So I did 12 cups  cranberries with 2 cups cranberry juice. Simmer on low heat about 20 mins.


I then added 2 table spoons pumpkin pie spice and 2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract.
Then 5 cups sugar, and 1 can of my apple maple jam which turned out to be more of a honey.  http://canningwife.blogspot.com/2010/11/rain-drops-on-roses-and-whiskers-on.html Let simmer on low another 45 mins or so just until you get the right consistency. Be sure to stir on occasion. Ladle into sterile jars, seal and cap, water bath 10mins. ( Always check safety guidelines for canning)


Look at how beautiful these look! I got 8 half pints:)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!  HAPPY CANNING!


No comments:

Post a Comment