Sunday, December 12, 2010

I'm dreaming of a beautiful Christmas....

It's that time of year again and the house is buzzing. Christmas music is non-stop and the train around the tree is always running thanks to my son Parker. Plus my oven is never resting. The house is bombarded with green and red things, and it seems as though every weekend is full of fun themed party's and Christmas dinners. How am I ever to get anything done?? I have a  very large family and ALOT of  Christmas canning to catch up on. I promise I will soon.

For now though I think I'll leave you with some yummy green food and a few "easy on the wallet" decorating ideas that anyone can do:) Oh in case I forgot MERRY CHRISTMAS!!


Living in a small little farm house with little storage I often have to be really creative with our space, and it usually works out well.
I have quite the collection of serving platters and one of these days I am going to hang them all up on my dining room wall, but for now I use them as decorative accessories. Cute!

I love bringing the outdoors in, so I just go and collect items outside. Leaves in the fall, flowers in the spring and anything green in the winter. I haven't had time to make the wreaths I 've wanted to this year but this is just as fun and alot easier.


A tree topper goes great in an unused vase. Add some of your Christmas tree trimmings and you've got the sweetest vase filler. The brick I found outside the first year we moved here and I just love the fun rustic touch.
 

So now for the yummy green food I promised:) I love this cook book and love trying her very tasty and very rich food..

Cream of Spinach soup. I also love her Cream of Watercress they're both so amazing!



1/3 cup onions slowly cooked in 3 tbs butter. Stir in 4 cups fresh spinach, sprinkle with salt, leave alone for about 5 min's then sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of flour. Stir and let cook 3min.





Turn off the heat and pour in 4 ( she adds 5 1/2 cups but I prefer a thicker consistency) cups boiling chicken or veggie stock. Blend with a hand blender.
 
 

Fresh eggs are amazing and if you know someone with chickens ask to buy some, they are way fresher than the market's, and believe me they taste BETTER!

 Then in a separate bowl you will need 1/2 cup of cream and 2 egg yolks( this is different I know but the eggs make this soup silky smooth) Beat the eggs and the cream.

Beat a cupful of the hot soup in the mixing bowl then gradually add the mixture back to the soup pot. Turn heat back on and cook only a min or two to cook the egg mixture. Then add 2 tbs of butter to the soup and stir.

Oh YUMM!!! I wish I had some leftovers...

Of course I always love a hot loaf of bread with my soup. I just bought some freshly made ciabatta drizzled with olive oil and added some fresh thyme, parm cheese and finely minced garlic. Heat in oven and serve.

May your days be Merry and Bright and may all your Christmas's be Beautiful!!!

1 comment: